Monday, February 8, 2010

Thoughts as an Outsider Artist

I have now spent 2 weeks in NYC, the question multiple times was raised-


“How do you perform your technique being you don’t have a degree”.

Scholars who think all is learned in a controlled paid enviorment have appalled me.

This has left me to examine- Is it possible that a degree has blinded your free thought?

When you get a degree do you stop the quest for knowledge?

With that degree do you stop choosing/ thinking/ feeling for yourself?

I am an artist with that I spend every moment of my time creating and educating myself for the next opportunity to manipulate reality by creating art. I apply fine craftsmanship and quality to find pride and importance in achieving the finished piece. My life of experience, labor and long hours should be obvious though my art and the visual statements made. It to me is insulting to hear that a degree is the end of learning or the only way to learn. One must know how to work in order to accomplish. The process should never end till death. An artist needs to be all things for dimension of art and thought to flow from the soul. Education is a daily practice of personal enlightening thought and action for out come. Radically different than a scholar who passively looks and judges. The artist puts them self and their thought out in the public, exposed. These process alone a difficult task. Then we artist are expected to be excellent writers, managers, accountants, social lights, blogers, shrinks and more.

To then be judged by the ones who don’t do!

I ponder and take online classes for the scholars to except me into their art world.

Yet I am left wondering what will it be next that I have not done for there liking.

I flounder to maintain the time to create and feed my creative process and struggle with what I am told I should be in order to achieve success.

All of this to re-acquaint my identity-

I am my vast bulk of work.

My achievements.

My successes.

My failures.

I am an Artist!

Look/ see/ feel the work.

I am an Artist!

Respect me.

I am an Artist.

React to the work.

I am an Artist.

My degree is My Work.

I am an Artist.

Whose art world is it really?

The one who lives it?

I am an Artist.